KETCHIKAN (KDN) — A trio of 12-pound salmon topped the charts in the Silver Salmon Derby over Labor Day Weekend. But Trey Acteson’s 12-pound, 13-ounce coho caught on Day 2 was the “reel” winner.
Acteson’s catch on Sept. 6 bumped him ahead of Nathan Bush’s 12-pound, 5-ounce coho, which Bush caught on opening day of the derby.
Eli Shattery also caught a 12-pound, 3-ounce salmon during the three-day event.
The top three spots split $1,800, with Acteson’s first-place catch winning $1,000. Bush won $500, and Shattery took home $300.
The rest of the top 10 received various gift certificates and take home trinkets — like a tackle box, fishing rod, hats and hoodies — for their set of goodies from Knudson Cove Marina. The marina on the north side of town hosted the event on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Those who participated paid $25 cash, with all proceeds being donated to the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad.
Over the course of the Silver Salmon Fishing Derby, $3,200 was raised for KVRS.
Here are the top 10 winners:
1. Trey Acteson, 12 lbs. 13 oz.
2. Nathan Bush, 12 lbs. 5 oz.
3. Eli Shattery, 12 lbs. 3 oz.
4. Allegra Machado, 11 lbs. 12 oz.
5. Ed Baily, 11 lbs. 12 oz.
6. Chris Lee, 11 lbs. 11 oz.
7. Chris Carlson, 11 lbs. 10 oz.
8. Ivan Leighton 11 lbs. 10 oz.
9. Melissa Johnson, 11 lbs. 8 oz.
10. Lisa Webster, 11 lbs. 7 oz.
*Results courtesy of knudsoncovemarina.com.