Home | Ketchikan | Alaska | Sports | Waterfront | Business | Education | Religion | Scene
Classifieds | Place a class ad | PDF Edition | Home Delivery

A man who joins the U. S.

Communities and countries are strengthened by the diligent service of their...

Robert L. “Bob” “Orpalo” “Tudoc” Valerio, 85, died June 30, 2019, in Seattle.
The latest on the downed floatplanes

1:30 p.m. Tuesday  — One patient was released with minor injuries Tuesday morning from PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center, while five others from Monday’s floatplane accident near Ketchikan remained in the hospital’s care in fair condition, according to KMC Medical Director Peter Rice.

Rice spoke at an 11 a.m. press conference in the hospital’s main lobby.

The five remaining patients are “stable and I think that they can anticipate a good outcome,” “I can’t tell you how long they’ll be here.”

Rice said there was a total of 10 patients who were brought to the medical center starting at 2 p.m. Monday.

Rice said the patients were triaged, categorized by degree of injury, and “evaluated by physical exam and imaging, CT scanning, and then decisions were made on whether to treat them here, or to make further stabilization and medevac them to Harborview Medical Center.”

Four people were medavaced to Harborview, a level one regional trauma center.

He said there were plenty of medical personnel present to handle the influx of patients.

“We have mass-casualty preparations plans that we go through with drills, and it worked very well,” he said. “We had plenty of both physicians staff  —  ER physicians and surgeons, actually a total of seven here, as well as a many other caregivers, so we had plenty of support.”

Rice said he wanted to “personally thank our responding physicians and caregivers for the incredible job they did in responding to this tragic accident.”

Starting around noon, people began to gather in the sprinking rain outside of the medical center along Tongass Avenue for a vigil for the people involved in the floatplane accident.

Around 200 people including hospital staff and other notable city officials stood on the sidewalk around the corner of the patient care wing, embracing each other, holding hands and praying.

The Rev. Pat Travers from Holy Name Catholic Church in Ketchikan prayed: “For those also who have been injured, those at our hospital, those who have been medavaced we pray that you might bring them healing and comfort and that they and their families may grow in the appreciation of your love.”