Home | Ketchikan | Alaska | Sports | Waterfront | Business | Education | Religion | Scene
Classifieds | Place a class ad | PDF Edition | Home Delivery

Thank you, Carol “Kitty” Hafner, for your interest in serving as...

A law pertaining to sexual assault survivors, with bipartisan support in...

Maxine Esther Mallott, 89, died May 24, 2018, of natural causes, in Olympia, Washington.
James “Jim” Maurice Clay, 75, died July 9, 2018, in Ketchikan. He was born Oct. 3, 1942, in Albany, Oregon.
Kennicott ferry taken out of service

KETCHIKAN (KDN) — The state ferry Kennicott was scheduled to be taken out of service early Saturday morning in Ketchikan because of a mechanical issue, according to the Alaska Marine Highway System.

AMHS anticipates the Kennicott will arrive in Ketchikan at its regularly scheduled time of 12:30 a.m. Saturday and that it will remain out of service at the Ketchikan Shipyard through mid-November — which will affect near-term service to and from Prince Rupert, British Columbia.

“Affected passengers can reschedule on the (state ferry) Columbia on its regularly scheduled service to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau, Haines and Skagway,” stated the AMHS announcement released Friday afternoon. “Service to Prince Rupert is suspended until the Kennicott resumes sailing.”

AMHS has canceled the Kennicott’s scheduled roundtrip between Ketchikan and Prince Rupert that had been set to depart the First City at 8:30 p.m. Monday.

The Kennicott has a leaky seal on its port-side propeller, according to Aurah Landau, spokesperson for the Alaska Department of Transportation.

The state ferry Malaspina is currently on the Ketchikan Shipyard’s main drydock. Once that ferry has been made watertight and refloated, shipyard personnel will reconfigure the drydock blocks and lift the Kennicott.

Once the Kennicott is on the drydock, the repairs will take about three days, according to Landau.

AMHS is contacting all of the affected passengers to reschedule travel, according to the announcement.

The Columbia is scheduled to arrive in Ketchikan at 6 a.m. Sunday from Bellingham, Washington, and then continue northbound with a 1:30 p.m. Sunday departure from Ketchikan to Wrangell.

The Columbia’s next southbound voyage to Bellingham is scheduled to depart Ketchikan at 5 p.m. Wednesday, according to AMHS information.