Home | Ketchikan | Alaska | Sports | Waterfront | Business | Education | Religion | Scene
Classifieds | Place a class ad | PDF Edition | Home Delivery

Congratulations to the Ketchikan High School Academic Decathlon team, which...

Respect for our history requires that it be recorded accurately and...

Robert Thomas Boyd, 35, died April 4, 2018, in Ketchikan. He was born Oct. 19, 1982, in Seattle.
Lady Kings shut out by Falcons
Ketchikan High School's Angel Spirgeon (14)
and Thunder Mountain freshman Makenna
Graham (19) fight for the ball Wednesday
during the Lady Kings' 4-0 loss to Thunder
Mountain at Esther Shea Field.
Staff photo by Taylor Balkom


Daily News Sports Editor

Thunder Mountain High School’s girls soccer team shut out the Ketchikan High School girls soccer team 4-0 on a rain-soaked Wednesday evening at Esther Shea Field.

Kayhi failed to mount much of an offensive attack in its loss and spent much of the game chasing Thunder Mountain.

“It was a rough start,” head coach Neil Kinunen said after Wednesday’s loss. “I think we competed well with (Thunder Mountain) for good stretches.”

The game began on a sour note for the Lady Kings, who surrendered two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Both of Thunder Mountain’s early goals came via deflection off of a Lady King.

Kayhi kept the score at 2-0 through the end of the first half but its defense began to show signs of fatigue after halftime.       

The Falcons connected on two more goals to put the game away for good.

“We were with them physically and we matched them step-for-step, but then they had that third goal,” Kinunen said.

Thunder Mountain maintained possession of the ball throughout the game and was dictating the flow of the game by the time the second half started.

Kinunen said he felt his team played impatiently and rushed itself a little too much offensively.

Passing and connecting on consecutive passes seemed to be a struggle for the Lady Kings in the defeat.

“I told the girls that I thought they battled physically very well,” Kinunen said. “We just need to improve some little things and control the ball a little better. We need to be fast and aggressive but, at the same time, we need to be calm.”

With such a quick turnaround, Kayhi will not have much time to make adjustments before its next game.

Kinunen said he feels confident his team will able to do just that before the Lady Kings and Falcons go at it another time.

He wants Kayhi to do its best at limiting the number of offensive chances Thunder Mountain has in the future.

“Either way we’re going to play hard and give it everything we’ve got,” said Kinunen. “It’s a really physical battle.”

Kayhi and Thunder Mountain will play once again Friday.

The game is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.