Home | Ketchikan | Alaska | Sports | Waterfront | Business | Education | Religion | Scene
Classifieds | Place a class ad | PDF Edition | Calendar | Discussions | Moderated Chat | Home Delivery| How to cancel


New industry Ketchikan needs industry. The Ketchikan Gateway Borough is appropriately assisting the Alaska mariculture industry, an industry with considerable potential here.

Read more...
It's a grand day for a picnic. Gov. Sean Parnell and first lady, Sandy Parnell, will be in town today (Thursday) for the Governor's Family Picnic. The picnic will be around the dinner hour — 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. — at Ward Lake.

Read more...
David Lee Pitcher, 66, died peacefully July 18, 2014, in Ketchikan following a heart attack and complications of multiple system atrophy.
Phyllis Marlene Edenso, 65, died June 26, 2014, in Saxman.
Lynne Tallacksen Dohm, 92, died May 14, 2014, at home in Lake Stevens, Washington.
4/18/2013
Eeeeuw

There’s a reason there are cartoons of people leaping into the air in fright when they come upon a spider unexpectedly — spiders can be scary.

The wandering spider — that’s a type (from the family Ctenidae) as well as a descriptive in this case — that a local child found in bananas purchased locally is dangerous indeed, and leaping away is a good response.

The family did the right thing in surrendering the spider to experts, who could then determine for sure what type it was. This type that’s most widely known is the Brazilian wandering spider (rated “deadliest” to humans in 2010), but we can’t know where this one came from, except — the bananas.

But we can be careful when buying any produce that offers hiding places, and look it over carefully before grabbing it out of the bin or off the shelf. Even then, inspect it carefully before bringing it into the house.

If you see a creature in the produce, alert the store personnel. And don’t touch it.

Wandering spiders are not a laughing matter; they can dangerous to human beings. That doesn’t make bananas dangerous; but it makes them worth a careful look before we bring them into our kitchens.